Monday, October 8, 2007

Comp Musings

It’s been a while, and I guess I could apologize, but I’m not sure I want to. I’m not even sure what is with all the Oedipal references lately. With the semester under way and things settling down, I hope I will get a chance to write more.

Sitting here in Composition, I decided that it would be a good idea to write something, considering that I’m not paying any attention to my professor. It’s not slacking off too badly, because I am composing… and my prof just told the class, “sharpen your diction”, so let see how that works. Besides, I find it hard to listen to a Comp professor who says “libarry”.

So, apparently they finally found the Northwest Passage, and Canada is getting militaristic about it. Good for them. It’s nice to see them take a stand on something other than hockey or how much they hate Quebec.

Speaking of which, I really wish Quebec would secede. I really think we need another country in North America to make things interesting.

I sat in the boondocks at the Michigan football game. I could barely even see the end zone opposite the student section because of the stupid press box. The game itself was rather gruesome… Michigan had control the entire game, but they never really pulled away until the third quarter. Lloyd needs to learn to stomp on opponents’ throats before trying to run the clock out. I think I’m hopping on the Les Miles bandwagon, but I’m keeping the right to jump off at anytime.

“Trickeration” is very important in Chaucer. And because I don’t want you to have to slog through The Canterbury Tales I’ll just tell you. Three drunken idiots wander about and decide they’re going to outwit Death. They find some gold randomly (see: trap) and want to celebrate. One of them goes off to find some food and drink and while he is gone the other two decide that if they kill their friend they’ll get more gold for themselves. Of course, the man who went to town to get the provisions decides the same thing, and puts some rat poison in the wine bottles he brings back. When their friend returns, the other two stab him in the back and then sit down to drink their wine, which kills them quickly. This needs to be made into a Halloween episode of some TV show. We get a million adaptations of A Christmas Carol, but none of The Pardoner’s Tale?

Lastly, I’m addicted to ebay. I’ve been passing my time bidding on things I know I won’t win, but which would be insane deals if I did. It’s very addicting. I think I’m going to start an auction site where you don’t actually bid on physical items or use real money… no that’s a horrible idea. No one steal it.

4 comments:

Paul Arrand Rodgers said...

Ahh the Pardoner's Tale.

Also, eBay is a demon. Do not trust it.

Anonymous said...

seriously, baader-meinhof is really pounding in the oedipus with me lately, more than you realize.
also, the pardoner's tale is pretty awesome.

-hannah

Brian said...

Stomp the throat?

*Flashback to LC's halftime meltdown at OSU 2003*

"Why would you ask a dumb question like that? *gives that wry smile and walks off like the elitist son of a bitch that he is*"

Anonymous said...

I overlook your strange, albeit strangely interesting, football comments to get to the important thing: eBay really is addicting! And I do the exact same thing... I'm stalking laptops...