Sunday, October 28, 2007

Michigan vs. Minnesota

Blegh...

I'm not quite sure what else I really have to say about yesterday's Michigan game. The 34-10 score does not indicate how awfully they played awfully in the first half, but after the beginning of the season, I'm not going to complain. A win is a win.

Minnesota carved up the Michigan defense in the first half with that halfback hand-off from the shotgun, the back running between the center and guard. I think it's a zone read of some kind, but correct me if I'm wrong. They ran it all day long.

Things got better in the second as the weather got colder. Mallett threw some nice long passes, but also made a couple really awful ones, a particularly bad screen pass to his receiver's feet comes to mind. Both Manningham and Arrington came up with some amazing circus catches that make me wish I had remembered to record the game.

Lastly, both Minor and Brown were sick. I'm not sure how much of it was a product of the atrocious Minnesota defense, but Minor rushed the ball 21 times for 157 yards and 7.5 yards a carry, and Brown rushed 13 times for 132 yards and 10.2 yards a carry. 10.2 yac?! That's just insane. That number is skewed by his 85 yard touchdown run, but that was a thing of beauty in itself.

Did I mention it was freezing? Maybe next time I'll be smart enough to wear something warmer than a raincoat.


Links:
The M Zone

Disclaimer: As always, all pictures taken from The Detroit Free Press.

No comments: