Monday, October 6, 2008

Back from the Banned

Hiya folks.  Yesterday marked the end of the ALA's (American Library Association) Banned Book Week 08.  This is late and I hadn't planned on doing anything at all about it this year bug with the low coverage I've experienced around the event I figured late was better than never.  

I was overjoyed when while visiting a local small business book store this past week to see the shelves filled with a scattering of historically challenged and banned books on display each accompanied by a note card describing the specific case.  Among these books were classics like The Catcher in the Rye, Leaves of Grass, and Of Mice and Men.  

The ALA's website has a list of the Ten Most Challenged writers of 1990-2004.  If you haven't the time to read their disgusting and obscene trash have no fear, BSD is happy to offer the condensed gist of their grossest of works.

1. Alvin Schwartz

2. Judy Blume

3. Robert Cormier

4. J.K. Rowling

5. Michael Willhoite

6. Katherine Paterson

7. Stephen King

8. Maya Angelou

9. R.L. Stine

10. John Steinbeck

As for me I spent my weekend relaxing with a bit of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, the cheeky fucker.

"Well, the kids have to learn about Tek Wars sooner or later."

CML

1 comment:

Paul Arrand Rodgers said...

R.L. STEIN?

Wow. Just...wow.

Also, Blogger Beware rox.