Sunday, November 9, 2008

There is Nothing Quite like Hope

"The only way you can get Americans to notice anything is to tax them or draft them or kill them" -John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany

Sometimes I hate politics... sometimes I lose faith in democracy. Sometimes I think I'm an arrogant ass, sometimes that those around me are morons. Most of the time I just wish people would take a bit more interest in politics, that they would just care a little more. Care to take the time to do some research, to vote on the issues and not the personality of a candidate, to vote on more than one issue. Sometimes the system depresses me, and what depresses me more is that I have no real solution to any of the problems inherent in it. Yet, this isn't one of those times... for once, I just feel happy, because after what seems like an eternity I feel like I have won. I feel there is something to look forward to, for once I have hope.

Barrack Hussein Obama is President-Elect, defeating a craggy old candidate who I liked so much more when he was just a Senator from Arizona and who I have a feeling I will like a lot more now that he's just that once again. I don't really think that the Washington establishment will change, but that was never why I wanted Obama to win in the first place. But at least there is a little hope for once.

I'm not going to go through his platform and explain why I voted for him, but just enjoy the moment. For now I just want to say that on election night I felt optimistic again. Seeing the scenes from all over the country, from all over the world of people jubilant was amazing. To see so many people happy because they believed something great had happened, voting for something positive, rather than because they were afraid.

The United States has taken a huge step toward wiping away the remnants of slavery and segregation. But it is bigger than just that, what I am most proud of is that this is a resounding denunciation of the idea that "American" means WASP or hick. Yes, the goal is that someday we will be able to elect a black man and that won't be anything special, but we are finally on the right path. For once the President is something more than a white Christian male. Someday we'll elect a woman, a Muslim, or an Atheist. And someday none of those categories will matter.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Hopefully this election truly is the resounding defeat of the Christian Coalition that it seems and that social conservatism will die with them. Hopefully the Republican party can transform into something more akin to what it once was, can transform into a party focused on a capitalism tempered by The New Deal. While I doubt I'll agree with such a party much, at least I'll be able to respect it.

Someday maybe Owen Meany will be wrong, that people will look around themselves and care more than what is effecting them that very instant. We as a people, need to fight for what we believe in again and stop the infringing upon our freedoms. I truly believe that November 4th, 2008 was a huge step in that direction. We have a long way to go, but I have never been prouder of this country.

1 comment:

Caleb said...

I read somewhere once that if you're a Christian and don't know why you should read Owen Meany because it'll help you understand that part of your faith better, and that if you're not a Christian you should read it too, because you'll enjoy that fact. I feel the same way in regards to Americanism and patriotism- a well educated patriot knows why they are an American, something I see in John and Owen.