Saturday, November 21, 2009

Italian Body Parts

I'm not sure what it is about Italian and preserving the remains of historical figures, but two interesting articles about body parts showed up on BBC this week.

The first, is that Galileo's fingers and tooth have been found. That desiccated finger is without a doubt one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen in my life.

In addition to the remains of the great astronomer being found, Il Duce's brain has apparently been stolen. I think we all know where this is going: some sort of Franken-dictator is being fashioned in Switzerland. While this can't be good, I sort of have a feeling he'll just end up in a tree again.

2 comments:

Caleb said...

There is a collection of brains including but not exclusive to Hitler's, bits of Kennedy's and now Mussolini's too. Who's skull was it the K told us some kid found in a trunk in his attic?

Matt said...

I do believe that was Newton's. And that is why I want to live in Europe. I'm sure body parts just show up all over the place.