Thursday, March 25, 2010

Asbestos

I buy most of my textbooks online, not only because it's cheaper, but to stick it to the monopoly that is the university book store, so I get an email every once in a while from AbeBooks. They're really more newsletters than advertisements, and often have some interesting stuff. The other day, they had an article about one of our favorite authors: Ray Bradbury.



I'd love to get my hands on one of the fire-proof, asbestos-covered copies of Fahrenheit 451. I've never been one to seek out first editions, and while I do collect books, I usually like to try to find the cheapest used copy I can. But this.... this is just awesome. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to light a copy on fire?

I did a little bit of poking around and found a bit more information here. Apparently they only other book to have an asbestos cover was an edition of Stephen King's Firestarter.

2 comments:

Caleb said...

There is a bookstore in East Lansing with a signed copy of this book. I am pretty sure it is on sale for ten thousand dollars.

Stephanie said...

The west wing making me wanna look for rare books!